Frequently Asked Questions
When can I begin my ESL program?
You may begin in August or January.
How much does it cost to be an ESL student at Southwestern?
Where do I stay while I am enrolled at Southwestern?
Some ESL students live off-campus but most live in the residence halls on campus. ESL students benefit from having English-speaking roommates. Students can choose among several dining plans for the campus cafe.
Can I work on campus?
International students on an F-1 visa can work up to 20 hours per week on campus.
How long is the program?
The program starts every semester, in August and again in January. Each semester is 16 weeks from August to December and from January to May. Students can complete ESL classes in one to three semesters depending on their proficiency in English.
Will someone pick me up at the airport when I fly to Texas?
Yes! Send us your flight information and we will arrange for complimentary transportation to our campus.
How do I apply?
- Fill out the Online Application form and submit it.
- If you are only planning to study English and do not plan on seeking a degree then you do not need to submit transcripts. However, degree seeking students must submit transcripts. If you will be applying for US Federal student aid you must be degree seeking.
- After we receive all of your documentation, we review your file, and determine your admission status. You will be notified by email regarding your acceptance.
- Send your pre-payment - and your international student deposit as specified in your acceptance letter.
- We send you an I-20 by DHL and email you the I-20 number so that you can call the American Embassy nearest you to make your appointment for a student visa.
- Get your visa, buy your airplane ticket, and fly to Dallas-Ft. Worth International Airport in Texas.