Homeschool Admission Requirements
As a homeschool student at Southwestern Adventist University, you will find many ways to expand your horizons. From local community service to mission service, musical performances at the Meyerson in Dallas to performances around the world, from tracking water samples at the SWAU Duck Pond to tracking turtle migration in the Pacific Ocean - Southwestern offers you a endless opportunities.
Please submit the following to the Admissions Office:
- Official transcript from a correspondence school – if applicable and/or a homeschool transcript that contains course description, dates the course was taken, and final grade. The homeschool transcript must show the graduation date and be signed and dated by a parent. Minimum GPA for admission is 2.5 cumulative.
- SAT or ACT scores
- ACT composite of 18 minimum
- SAT ERW and math score of 970
If applicable, please submit the following:
- GED scores if the student does not have a transcript
- Transcripts from accredited colleges with college level course work
- AP exam score report
Texas State Homeschool Requirements
To home school legally in Texas, you must follow three state law requirements:
- The instruction must be bona fide (i.e., not a sham).
- The curriculum must be in visual form (e.g., books, workbooks, video monitor).
- The curriculum must include the five basic subjects of reading, spelling, grammar, mathematics, and good citizenship.
Southwestern encourages the TEA Recommended High School Program of 26 credits, which will increase a student’s opportunities for success.
- 4 credits of English/Language Arts
- 4 credits of Mathematics, including Algebra I, II, and Geometry
- 4 credits of Science, including Biology, Chemistry, and Physics
- 4 credits of Social Studies, including World History, World Geography, U.S. History, ½ credit Government, ½ credit Economics
- 1 credit of Physical Education
- ½ credit of Speech
- 1 credit of Fine Arts
- 5 ½ credits of Electives
- 2 credits of Foreign Language Studies