International Student Admission Requirements
We are excited that you are considering Southwestern Adventist University – the university that has in faith in your future! Southwestern is called home by students from over 38 countries. From faculty who care about your success to residence hall deans who make you feel at home – Southwestern is known for its friendly campus family. Our students graduate well prepared for success and to meet the challenges of the world around them.
In addition to meeting the freshman or transfer acceptance requirements, an international student must send official copies of all education documents that are validated by school or national officials. These should be in the original language, accompanied by a certified English translation.
If English is not your native language please submit one of the following:
- Minimum score on the TOEFL* (Test of English as a Foreign Language) of 550 on the old PBT, 65 on the new PBT, or 235 on the computer based exam, or 85 on the Internet based test
- IELTS 6.5
- Minimum score of 3.9 on iTEP.
- PTE 55
- GTEC 1220
- Minimum score of 80 on the Michigan* test
- Minimum score of 17 on the ACT English section
- Minimum score of 480 on the SAT ERW
- Transfer of a minimum of 24 semester credit hours from a college or university where English is the language of instruction.
Freshman and Transfer scholarships are based on the Grade Point Average (GPA) on your official transcript. Freshmen scholarships can be renewed for up to three years if renewal GPA is maintained. Transfer scholarships can be renewed for up to two years depending on the amount of credits transferred in and the student must maintain good academic standing. Merit scholarship recipients must be enrolled for 12 or more credit hours.
Freshman Merit Scholarships
|3.95-4.00||$8,000 per year*||Required renewal GPA: 3.50|
|3.85-3.94||$7,000 per year*||Required renewal GPA: 3.50|
|3.75-3.84||$6,000 per year*||Required renewal GPA: 3.25|
|3.60-3.74||$4,000 per year*||Required renewal GPA: 3.00|
|3.00-3.59||$3,000 per year*||Required renewal GPA: 2.50|
|2.50-2.99||$2,000 per year*||Required renewal GPA: 2.00|
*Amount includes $1000 for students living in the residence halls
Transfer Merit Scholarships
|3.75-4.00||$4,000 per year|
|3.50-3.74||$3,500 per year|
|3.00-3.49||$3,000 per year|
|2.25-2.99||$2,000 per year|
- Copy of current passport information page
- Submit at least 3 recent bank statements that give evidence of income
- Submit the international student deposit of $1000* which includes the $200 residence hall room deposit, and a $100 non-refundable processing fee
- Pre-payment of $6500* for undergraduate students
*If a student is not granted a visa and does not enroll, these funds will be returned minus the processing fee and any transaction fees.
Do not leave your homeland without the following:
- A letter of acceptance from Southwestern Adventist University
- An I-20 from Southwestern Adventist University
- A valid passport and F-1 Visa for travel to the United States of America.
Things you need to complete BEFORE arriving at Southwestern:
- TB Test: Must be done 30 days before arrival to the US
- Meningitis Vaccination: Must be done 30 days before arrival to the US
- Final official transcripts, School Leaving documents, or National Exam Certificate
- If you submitted copies of documents for admission, bring the originals for us to make a certified copies for your file.
- Submit online Residence hall reservation form (Room deposit is included in your international student deposit)