P. Harlan & Jean Wilson
P. Harlan Wilson, son of Southwestern President and Mrs. Paul Wilson, was born in Boulder, Colorado. He attended Platte Valley Academy and Union College, both in Nebraska. He met Jean Heinbaugh, who was to become his wife, at Southwestern Junior College. Born in South Dakota, Jean had attended Plainview Academy and later graduated from Campion Academy in 1948.
After Harlan's graduation from Southwestern Junior College in 1949, he and Jean made plans to continue study at Madison College and to marry in November. However, a college recruitment representative informed them that students were not permitted to marry during the school term. They moved their wedding date forward and were married in Ridgeview, SD, in August 1949.
Harlan graduated from Kansas City College of Osteopathy in 1963. He interned at Fort Worth Osteopathic Hospital before opening his practice in 1964 in Amarillo. He pioneered some of the early stop-smoking clinics there. Retiring from his practice of 30 years in 1994, he then served for seven years as medical director for the Crown of Texas Hospice. Jean worked by his side as his assistant and office manager, as well as caring for the x-rays.
In 1995 Dr. Wilson received the Presidential Citation for Excellence from Southwestern. He was chosen as 1998 Medical Director for the Year by the Texas/New Mexico Hospice Organization, and passed away in May 1998. Dr. Wilson was a member of Sigma Sigma Phi honorary fraternity, a life member of the America Osteopathic Association, and a member of Olsen Park Seventh-day Adventist Church where he served as an elder and health and temperance leader. He had served as trustee of Southwestern since 1983, and was a charter member of the University's Committee of 100.
The Wilsons had six children: Paul, Vernonne, Donna, Charles, Ted and Linda. Three of the children graduated from Southwestern Adventist College. This scholarship goes to students based on financial need, employment and academic potential.