You are here

Transfer Student Admission Requirements

We are delighted that you are interested in applying to Southwestern.  There are so many reasons to choose Southwestern – dedicated faculty advisors who guide you through the process of completing your degree, a campus that nurtures tomorrows leaders and degrees that lead to successful careers.

Transfer students applying for admission to the University must submit the following materials to the Office of Admissions:

  • Official transcripts of all college/universities attended.
  • Students with less than 24 credits will need to submit ACT/SAT scores and proof of secondary school completion.

Academic credit earned from regionally accredited colleges and universities will be accepted as transfer credit subject to the following guidelines:

  • Courses with grades of C- or higher will transfer
  • Even though credit hours are transferable, the hours may not necessarily apply toward a particular degree program or general education requirements
  • All courses taken at a community college transfer as lower-division hours only
  • Courses considered technical, developmental/remedial, continuing education, co-operative education, extension, English as a Second Language, and non-credit classes will not transfer
  • Transcripts submitted from non-accredited institutions are evaluated on a course by course basis
  • Transcripts from universities outside the United States must be evaluated for the student by an independent evaluation service.  Southwestern recommends the use of World Evaluation Services

Transfer students who have not completed the general education mathematics requirement and/or the freshman composition requirement prior to enrollment at the University should submit the ACT or SAT for math placement prior to registering for classes.  An SAT math score of 500 (old) 530 (new) or an ACT math score of 21 is a prerequisite for MATH 110.  An SAT critical reading score of 450 (old) 25 (new) or an ACT English score of 17 is a prerequisite for ENGL 121.

Applicants who do not meet the published requirements may be considered for admission on academic probation.  A letter of intent to succeed along with two references need to be submitted to the Office of Admissions for consideration by the Admissions Committee.